We tend to always hear about the negative aspects of social media, but sometimes, it has the power to make the world a better place – IF you use it correctly! Although social media can be used in ways that can be harmful, like cyberbullying , there are many positive ways to use it to empower yourself and other people or groups. Here are a few ways social media can help with your personal or professional development in safe ways.
- Spread positive messages! Sharing positive experiences (e.g., volunteering) might encourage others to learn more about or share your message.
- Create profiles on sites such as LinkedIn. Advertising yourself for the future can be a great way to put yourself out there.
- Expressing your opinion in a private social media status update can help give you the courage to voice your opinion out loud in public.
- Social media can help develop cultural awareness and allow adolescents to discover how people their age live in other countries.
- Familiarizes teens with technological functions that are used in many different career fields.
- Social media has also been reported to help build confidence
Can you think of any other ways that social media has had a positive effect on you? Has anyone ever talked to you about how to use social media positively? Let us know in the comment section below!