Romantic Relationships

Home Forums Communication and Relationships 🗣️ Romantic Relationships

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Moderator ★
      Keymaster

Do you have any questions or need advice about how to discuss mental health in a romantic relationship that you’re in? Is your relationship affecting your mental health? What anxieties do you have when it comes to things like dating or being in a relationship? What conversations do you want to have with your partner, but are afraid to have?

Check out some of the articles below if you need some additional advice or questions to get you started:

Healing while Dating

Intimacy and Anxiety

Does Your Mental Health Status Affect Your Relationships?

When a Toxic Relationship Comes to an End

As a reminder, please make sure to stay anonymous. Please do not share any information which can identify you like: your name, where you live, your contact information, or other personal details.

Romantic relationships are something I struggle with a lot because my anxiety ALWAYS rears its ugly head. I hate putting too much pressure on someone I am casually seeing, but it causes me so much anxiety not knowing if they are interested in a long-term relationship. I find it is even worse if someone I am seeing also has anxiety because it seems like we are just a bundle of nerves. Does anyone have advice on how to alleviate my anxiety about the unknown, but not coming off like I am pressuring the person I am seeing to fully commit?

That’s a great question, and you’re definitely not alone in this feeling. Becoming involved in a romantic relationship opens us up to being more vulnerable with both our significant others and ourselves, so its natural for feelings of anxiety to fly around. The best advice I can give is: stay secure in yourself! Continue to perform your personal best in work/school/extracurricular activities and retain a source of independence outside the relationship, that way you feel more secure in your daily life and can bring this feeling to the table in your relationship.

I also always recommend talking to your partner — in a healthy and inviting way — whenever you have feelings of anxiety, mistrust, doubt, etc. surrounding the relationship. Start the conversation by letting your partner know you’re feeling a certain way, and that you’d like to talk through your feelings and come to a conclusion together rather than dealing with them yourself. Instead of outright saying something like, “you’re making me mistrust you,” “you’re giving me doubts” — frame it in a more inviting way by saying something like “I’m starting to feel distrustful of you because of _____.” Walk them through your feelings and frame the conversation in a way where it can be a two-way street, and I assure you both you and your partner will feel better after talking things through.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.