How to Spend Our Free Time in the Summer
If you’re anything like me, you may be finding it hard to be motivated this summer. I’ve spent more than a few days on my couch bingeing shows on Netflix. As relaxing and nice as that can be, I know I need to break up that time doing other more productive things that build my self-esteem.
Whether you are searching for a job, taking a summer off, completing summer courses, or, in my case, not getting enough hours at work, I have some suggestions to help make your summer a good one.
- Explore new places or revisit some old favorites. Take this time to reach out to a friend and plan to go out somewhere. Summer is the perfect time to find a new hangout spot!
- Take more walks. I’ve been enjoying the warm weather lately and have been taking long walks to fully bask in it. Just make sure to wear some sunscreen if it is a hot day! (I’m going to have to learn how to take my own advice there.) And take the dog. Research shows that looking into a dog’s face boosts the bonding hormone oxytocin.
- Practice a sport. If your leagues are off for the summer, start a pick-up game in the park. Research shows that exercise is just as effective as antidepressants at lifting the mood, and there are no side-effects!
- I read books constantly in the summertime to pass time and enjoy the escapism. I talk to a lot of people who tell me they wish they enjoyed reading more, and I always suggest audiobooks. I switch between both, but I love using audiobooks when I am taking walks or commuting.
- Finally finish that project you have been working on. During the school year, it is so easy to put creative projects aside when the workload becomes too much. Finish that story you were writing, make the piece of art you sketched a long time ago, or pick up that musical instrument you have wanted to learn for years.
Let’s be easy on ourselves. Summer is a fun time, but it can also be overwhelming when we don’t always have plans and things to occupy our time. Remember that we do not need to be active and having fun every second of the summer, and that this list is merely suggestions to help out.
How do you like to spend your free time in the summers? Let us know below!